Thursday, April 18, 2013

Never Argue With A Drunk Or A Fool


They say, “don’t cry over spilled milk” but I’ve never been told not to stand up in defense of it. Do I believe it’s possible to have a healthy diet that does not include milk – yes. Do I believe it’s possible to have a healthy diet that does include milk – YES!

This morning as I was leaving the gym I overheard an exercise instructor telling her clients that they should cut out milk entirely because “it’s just so bad for you” and “we’re the only species that drinks milk from another animal”. To be fair, she prefaced her advice with “I know nutritionists would disagree with me but…”. Isn’t that like prefacing an insult with “No offense but…”?

Overhearing her spew this information she got from who-knows-where, I could hardly contain my desire to speak up. I had to grit my teeth and clench my fists before walking away, not out of anger but out of a desire to contribute to the conversation, to offer my insight. It was not my place to jump into the conversation occurring right beside my locker, but at what point to we ignore conversational etiquette to stand up for what we believe in?

Like Meg Ryan's character in You’ve Got Mail, I think of what I’d like to say only after the moment has passed. If I could go back to that moment, this is what I’d say:

If you really want to help your clients, teach them how to make smart decisions for their lifestyle, teach them about portion control and moderation, teach them how to recognize and handle emotional eating—three things considerably more effective at achieving long term health than telling them to exclude entire groups of food.

I rest my case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment